“Arithmechicks Add Up”
*Note: Links are Amazon affiliate links. Clinking on these links supports my work. Thank You!
One of my FAVORITE ways to discover new books is by strolling through the library shelves…especially when I am in a new-to-me library, which was the case for today’s amazing MATH STORY find! 😍
“Arithmechicks Add Up: A Math Story”
Written by Ann Marie Stephens (an elementary teacher!) and Illustrated by Jia Liu
Due to Jia Liu’s amazing illustrations, this book jumped off the shelf for me. I wondered…
- Would the fun engaging illustrations continue? YES, absolutely! ❤️
- Would it be a counting book instead? NOPE–it really demonstrates different approaches to addition…keep reading! ➕
- Would it go past adding to 10? Minus the one lonely mouse, all mathematical prompts do not exceed a sum of 10 🧮
- Would it incorporate everyday connections to the target age group? YES! The Arithmechicks engage in all sorts of recess/park fun (slides, swings, basketball, etc.) 🏀
- Would it incorporate other life lessons, extending the story past the mathematical connections? YES! Playing together, getting along, problem solving, and making new friends are additional heart happy features in the story. (additional…get it! lol) 😀
I seriously can’t wait to tell my friends all about this book! 🙋🏽♀️My elementary teacher friends and my friends with young children would all love it! 👩🏫 It does such a great job of introducing the many ways to put numbers into groups to get answers or sums!
AND the math play, the MATH FUN doesn’t end there! Finding this story (thank you public libraries!) introduced me to Ann Marie Stephens and her additional math stories:
Such Happy Reading! 📚